My first experience with General Radio equipment was when I helped my mentor measure an AM tower back in 1983...a (heavy) GR916 impedance bridge, a (heavier) HP function generator, a Heathkit frequency counter, and a Potomac Instruments field strength meter (used as a detector). More than 100 pounds of gear running off 120 volts...which can be replaced with a <$200 battery-powered NanoVNA that fits in your pocket.
Every once in a while I'll see a GR916 or GR1606 on eBay and think I need it, then I quickly change my mind. Besides the NanoVNA, I have an older AIM4170 that fits in my backpack. I don't need the heavy stuff. For hot AM work, I was gifted a Delta OIB-1 a few years ago.
Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment will not be visible until approved. Arguing or use of insulting or derogatory language will result in your comment going unpublished: no name-calling. Comments I deem excessively partisan will not be published. "Unknown" or "Anonymous" comments are unlikely to be published.
My first experience with General Radio equipment was when I helped my mentor measure an AM tower back in 1983...a (heavy) GR916 impedance bridge, a (heavier) HP function generator, a Heathkit frequency counter, and a Potomac Instruments field strength meter (used as a detector). More than 100 pounds of gear running off 120 volts...which can be replaced with a <$200 battery-powered NanoVNA that fits in your pocket.
ReplyDeleteEvery once in a while I'll see a GR916 or GR1606 on eBay and think I need it, then I quickly change my mind. Besides the NanoVNA, I have an older AIM4170 that fits in my backpack. I don't need the heavy stuff. For hot AM work, I was gifted a Delta OIB-1 a few years ago.