With the mid-term elections about a month away, I'm going to make some guesses:
One in ten to one in twenty chance of political violence -- roughly on J6 lines but state/local, the probability starting on Election Day and continuing until after the counts are finalized. It only takes a handful of violent fools to make a mess, and we have no shortage Those sound like long odds, but with fifty states, I will not be surprised at all by one or two instances.
75 percent chance of something ugly and stupid happening at a polling place that is significant enough to make national news. Much more likely to be county-level law enforcement or self-appointed nitwits than any Federal force. Related, two in three of some kind of brawl among voters (let's all remember that campaign laws mean you cannot wear your political-slogan T-shirt to the polling place. Smile and talk about the weather, and keep the line moving).
50/50 there's an ugly legal fight over a close race for a high office -- U.S. House or Senate, the many elections for Governor.
85 percent chance of a premature declaration of victory by the President, and that's being optimistic; I think he'll call the outcome a win for his party even if it's a rout.
Speaking of routs, I don't think we'll see one. The House will probably get a Democratic majority; anyone confidently predicting which party will take the Senate is whistling in the dark. But it is unlikely either party will sweep into office with a commanding majority. Both bodies are closely balanced now and they will almost certainly be closely balanced after the dust settles.
I think there is a one in four chance of something spinnable happening between now and Election Day. It may or may not be staged and it's unlikely to originate at the highest levels, but if anything occurs, it will be spun and spun and spun. I encourage you to ignore it when you vote -- bad stuff can happen at any time, society never runs out of violent idiots, but giving them a "heckler's veto" cannot prevent it or heal whatever harm they do, only make it worse.
And speaking of harm, I predict Vice-President James David "JD" Vance* will continue to exhibit the charm and charisma of an STI. Most Veeps are their party's next in line to run for the highest office but he is likely to face a crowded primary field in 2028. The President's crude schtick† still holds appeal to his base and he knows how to work it; Vice-President Vance remains uncomfortable and awkward around the modern GOP base -- or almost anyone else not well-insulated by wealth and power.
This election -- and the two years that follow -- is most likely to be a brutal slog. Norms have been broken and institutions have been demolished with nothing to replace them. Many will have to be rebuilt from scratch no matter which party is ascendant, but neither party's politicians have shown much appetite or aptitude for the job.
They'll have to do the work nevertheless -- or find their way through the smoking ruins of Caesarism.
_________________________
* Named James Donald Bowman.at birth. Yes, I often point this out. For a man who sneers at other people who have re-invented themselves, he's certainly done a lot of it -- "hillbilly" to Marine, poor student to scholar, lower-class to upper-class, Protestant to atheist to Catholic, child of poverty to rich man.
† You can call this "Trump Derangement Syndrome" if you like. I think it's a rational response to a crude, preening bully who is nowhere near as smart as he believes himself to be, but I'm not the boss of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment will not be visible until approved. Arguing or use of insulting or derogatory language will result in your comment going unpublished: no name-calling. Comments I deem excessively partisan will not be published. "Unknown" or "Anonymous" comments are unlikely to be published.