Tuesday, August 18, 2026

First Day Back

     And, oh shucks, nobody missed me.  (Well, hardly anyone.)  This, in my kind of Engineering Department, counts as a success: if we do our jobs right, fixing most things before they break, we're nearly invisible.

     On the other hand, nobody from Engineering has been to the North Campus for nearly ten weeks and I have no idea what I might find.  It's on a pretty wet patch of land, in an area that's had even more rain than we received in Broad Ripple, so I may end up taking the old entrance, which travels over higher ground to reach the slightly elevated spot where the building stands.

     I was pretty beat at the end of the day, but not in pain.  Tired enough to be grumpy, which I'm going to have to get used to and compensate for.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back!
    "if we do our jobs right, fixing most things before they break, we're nearly invisible"
    Actual conversation with a former boss:
    Boss: (complaining) You haven't been on a service call in six weeks! We pay you to fix stuff! Go fix things!
    Me: I did scheduled preventive maintenance so well, nothing has broken. It costs you $200 each time I go out to fix broken stuff. You want me to ask a customer to break something?
    Boss: Uh... Good point. Nevermind. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment will not be visible until approved. Arguing or use of insulting or derogatory language will result in your comment going unpublished: no name-calling. Comments I deem excessively partisan will not be published. "Unknown" or "Anonymous" comments are unlikely to be published.