Monday, September 14, 2026

Getting The Lead Out

     I bought a filtering water pitcher, and the reason is--

     City water tastes pretty lousy if it sits for more than a few minutes.  I drink bottled water and I'd been thinking about a filter carafe for a long time, but, well, what motivated me is that the LSLRP crew has been working two blocks over, and it worried me.  That's the Lead Service Line Replacement Program, our local water (and gas) utility's effort to replace lead pipe from the main to the "meter pit," which around here is more likely to have a shut-off valve in it while the actual meter lives in your basement and is connected to a wireless access port on the outside wall of your house.

     I hadn't been too worried; my house was built in 1924, the water line into the house is galvanized, and I was okay, right?

     Apparently not.  Between ordering the pitcher and receiving it, I got a letter advising me that what I keep thinking of as "L-Slurp" was in the neighborhood, swapping out the old lead pipes and yes, my house was on the list.

     Apparently, I've been running on leaded for twenty years.  Probably not much -- our various water utilities (the thing kept getting bought up and going bankrupt) have known for years and been careful about the chemicals they used, but, still.

     Like smoking, the best time to give up lead is before you start and the second-best time is right now. (And yes, the filtering widget I bought, a well-known name brand, promises it really does remove the lead, honest, cross their heart.)

2 comments:

Robert said...

It might be fun to test your leaded water for peace of mind. Having installed a few of the lead lines way back when, I wondered about lead as I don't eat paint chips. My understanding is that, unless disturbed by chemical (Flint, MI) or physical means (earthquake, construction), the lead oxide builds up and forms a protective layer preventing further lead leaching. Check the innards of your faucet aerators for errant blobs of solder and you're most likely just fine.

Robert said...

In San Diego, everyone uses bottled water or filters as the stuff out of the tap tastes gawdawful. Bonus: the height of the waves in the bottle indicates the severity of your earthquake.