Tam and I watch the Sunday political talk shows. I wouldn't say we like watching them, but it's not a hate-watch either. The programs are the lowest common denominator of American political discourse, available to the widest cross-section of the gen. pop., and because the big networks do have to keep their advertisers, viewers, the FCC and a smattering of basement lunatics* reasonably happy, they're as close to a big-picture look at the current scene as can be had.
Today's snapshot comes from NBC. Kristen Welker was interviewing Republican Senator John N. Kennedy of Louisiana, a politician who could out-awshucks Foghorn Leghorn or his inspiration even spotting them three "Ma'ams," one "I say," and a wilted magnolia. Asked about the economy and specifically inflation, he had this to say:
"I’m labor. I’m not management. I don’t run the show."
He -- a U. S. Senator -- would have us believe he just works there. To continue the parallel with business, that is as if a member of the Board of Directors pretended to have no more influence over how a company is run than some hourly person on the assembly line. This is not the position of a member of the United States Congress, it's a neat summary of a Senator's job in Imperial Rome. He's asking us to believe he's just a-watching the whole train run off the trestle, caboose over boiler, as he sweeps the floor in the railroad station waiting room, powerless, thinking if only: "...[W]e’d be on this issue like a hobo on a ham sandwich. We would be all over inflation passing bills."
If he was my Senator, I'd be asking for my nickle back.
The interview is a marvel of a man with money, power, influence and authority claiming he's just a little fellow caught up in he gears, a-doing whatever he can, which is nothing at all. If that was true, why d'ya suppose he even bothered to appear on TV, or the TV people bothered to invite him? You can find the whole thing here. Don't eat first..
___________________
* I'd like to be able to tell you that one "side" or the other, out at the fringes of our two-party system, has a definitive lead over the other when it comes to political violence. But even though it's often more one than the other at any given time, metaphorical meteorologists blowing up Federal buildings or supposed law'n'order fetishists bushwhacking a talk-show host (or vice-versa), the truth is they're usually so far off the Left/Right horseshoe that their political "philosophies" are largely horseshit, and viewed as a whole over history, they're as likely to have gone galloping off from one end of the horseshoe as the other.
Update
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment