Thursday, May 07, 2015

As Heard

     Tam, watching television in my room (as is her wont in the morning), let out a prolonged, ululating yawn,  while I wrangled pancakes several rooms away.  Rannie Wu the cat had been circulating around my ankles, hoping for Whatever and quick-trotted Tamwards when the The Yawn rang out, as though rushing to the rescue.

     Bobbi: "Holy cow!  Rannie just went tearing off your way!"

     (I heard) Tam: "What? 'Ready for the Redford picture, f*rry?'"

     Bobbi:  "Did you say, 'Ready for the Rexford puncture f*rry?'"

     (I heard) Tam: [snickering] "No, 'the sphincter fury.'"

     As she spoke, I'd followed the cat as far as the hallway and when I repeated what I thought she'd said, the snickers became uncontrollable guffaws.

     Ah, hearing.  How did it work?


New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

So, what was really said?

armedlaughing said...



Roberta X said...

She and I were each repeating what we thought we had heard, NJT.

BGMiller said...

Apparently the NSA bugs on your personal game of telephone are causing some interference.


New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I was just wondering what the Ur-phrase was. The innocuous innocent "please pass the salt" that started the word-alanche to eventually become "my knees are made of bassalt"

Roberta X said...

My first line is that very thing.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Wow. No wonder I was confused. I should have read it out loud. I didn't equate 'your way' with 'picture ferry'. Impressive.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Heard, just now, at work, "Anyone know where I can get a cheese poncho..."

Every bug out bag needs a cheese poncho, now.

Ken said...

Prisoner: Johnny and the Mothers are playing "Stompin' at the Savoy" in Vermont tonight.

Johnny Dangerously: Vermin's going to kill my brother at the Savoy theater tonight.

Prisoner: I didn't say that.

Johnny Dangerously: No, but I know this grapevine. :-)

Joseph said...

Jovian Thunderbolt: A cheese poncho does belong in your BOB. It provides both rain protection and a source of nutrition.

Ken: You mean somebody besides me saw that movie??