Friday, October 02, 2020

Unfortunate And Nearly Inevitable

      Unless you are living in a hole in the ground in the middle of the deep woods without a telephone or radio, by now you know that President Trump and the First Lady have tested positive for COVID-19.

     I hope he has only a mild case and recovers quickly.  I do not much like Mr. Trump -- he reminds me of every bad, blowhard boss I have ever had -- but I do not wish him ill.  He's over seventy and while national-level politicians get the very best medical care, there still no cure for this thing; once you've got it, doctors can't do a lot they couldn't have done in 1918.

     Mr. Trump is not the first Chief Executive of a country to come down with this virus and he probably won't be the last.  While the dimmer bulbs among our peers will be snarking about chickens coming home to roost, the fact is that you cannot do the day-to-day running of modern nation-state without coming into relatively close contact with a great many people, who in turn are in contact with many more, and so on.  A lot of the work cannot be accomplished with a Zoom meeting, or even Microsoft Teams, for reasons of security and clarity.  Presidents and Prime Ministers are at major risk of contacting this coronavirus and I am impressed the White House was able to hold it off this long, especially after a couple of close calls early on.  I was starting to think the President was going to be able to dodge this bug.

     But he's got it now, and I wish him and Mrs. Trump a speedy and full recovery. 

2 comments:

looper said...

Very Classy of you, much respect.

Johnny - Oh said...

This is one of the many reasons why I continuously lurk this site. Above I see an example of How To Deport Oneself 101. Thank you Bobbi for being an example of how people should act. If this comment makes it through moderation, I would like to say to any others whose comments did not. Act like this example, and your opinion will be seen... Act the way you always have, and wonder why your comment never showed up.