Monday, May 10, 2021

Weather?

      Yesterday afternoon, it appeared to have stopped raining, so I nipped out for a look.  It was chilly and overcast.  I was wearing short sleeves and there was the strangest sensation on my arms....

     It was sleeting.  Tiny sleet.  Pinprick sleet, each slushy little drop ice-cold and stinging.  I went back indoors.

     We had freeze warnings overnight and our neighbor's roof was sparkling with frost this morning, but at least the sun's out.

     May in Indiana!  I've seen nicer ones so far.  There have been good points -- the North Campus has plenty of red-winged blackbirds, a few cardinals, the usual red-tailed hawks and at least one pair of kildeers, long-legged, golden-tailed and fretful.  They're best known for faking a broken wing to lead you away from their nest.  If you're going to be isolated and shivering, you might as well do so in what amounts to a bird sanctuary!

2 comments:

RandyGC said...

Saw a post on the Interwebs the other day that stated:

This month is called May because, it May be 40 degrees or it May be 80 degrees.

Jim said...

My mother and brother live in northern Pennsylvania. On mother's day they had snow, about 1 to 2 inches on the ground. my wife informed me we will not be moving back when we retire.