Tuesday, August 15, 2023

And Then, Late Yesterday...

     No.  I'm not going to write about it this morning.  If you want to stay out of court, don't break the law.  Don't try to skirt the law, either, no matter how special a genius you think you are.  If you get a speeding ticket, pay it.  This applies to you, me, Presidents (both former and serving) and their offspring, and everyone in between.  It's as simple as that.

     Me, I'm fighting water in my car.  I went to leave for work yesterday and there was water all over the front passenger seat and floor, dripping from the sunroof.  It appears a blocked drain is the most likely culprit.  There's one on each side inside the sunroof surround, with what amount to downspouts hidden in the A-pillars.  Couldn't do much about it yesterday, what with it raining all day and me working.  Maybe today, along with work.

     Went down to the basement late yesterday night and found two inches of water on the floor at the drain.  That's sadly normal for the floor drain when we get heavy rain: high water levels in the semi-combined sewer/storm drain closes the backflow preventer, which sticks, and then a day of the air conditioner and dehumidifier running starts to fill the basement.  I spent some time plunging it until it cleared but I need to remember to run a bucket of warm water down that drain.  Maybe vinegar.

     Soaked one pair of trainers swabbing out the car in the rain and one pair of house slippers plunging the drain.

3 comments:

grich said...

After the second time sewer water backfed into our basement, we installed the backflow preventer. Our small town only had issues when a LOT of rain fell, as our side of town has no storm sewers at all. We're on the opposite side of town from the sewage lagoons, so we're the last in town to have trouble.

We haven't had 8 inches of rain at once since the backflow valve was installed. I am overdue to open the cleanout and check it. I might head to Big Orange and get one of those jugs of 30-percent vinegar to toss in there.

One of our relatives kept quizzing my wife "how do you know if the valve is closed?" The answer has always been "situational awareness".

Joe in PNG said...

I've had a couple of cars with water problems. One had a truly horrific door seal, and one IDK why, it just had 2" of water in the passenger's side footwell one morning. I think the AC evaporator froze up good or something. I got rid of it shortly after.

Cop Car said...

Next thing we know you'll be growing webs between your toes. Happily, you are up to taking care of your water issues.

When we had this house built in 1999, local codes (wisely) dictated installation of a backflow valve on the main sewer line. Knowing that such valves sometimes stick, I had them also install a manual shut-off valve. I've never had to close the shut-off valve, but I sleep better knowing that I could if the situation called for it. Hopefully, my situational awareness (tip of the hat to grich) remains sharp.