The most recent barbarism from the Trump administration is the planned public execution of the man who committed the 2009 Fort Hood mass shooting,* by firing squad.
While I am opposed to the death penalty on moral, economic and margin-of-error grounds (you can't unkill the person if the verdict was mistaken), there's no question that the man in question committed the crime, nor that it was heinous; his actions were those of a bloody-handed barbarian and had he been stopped by being killed, I wouldn't have shed a tear. I won't weep for him if he is executed as planned.
I will weep for us. Our Federal and state governments execute people rarely, and not in public. It does not have a deterrent effect, and in his case, it will only make him a martyr for the cause he embraced. He was paralyzed from the waist down by an injury sustained when people ended his murderous rampage, and while I have no pity for him over it, shooting a man in a wheelchair (or strapped to a support) only makes the spectacle worse. There's no claiming the moral high ground after such an act.
And possibly even worse, it's one more trial balloon for authoritarianism: can the government execute a man on live TV without pushback? Will the sensation-hungry flock to the online video, share screengrabs and clips on social media, cheer on the administration for doing it? If it flies, they'll do it again, and again, and again. They've already shown a considerable taste for blood, and executions are much easier to control than street violence and enforcement overreach.
It's one more spot of mold on the rotten fruit of Trumpism.
___________________
* You do have to specify the date, there having been another one at the base in 2014.
Update
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment