And I like to think I can be as vacant as anyone, once I've, er, put my mind to it.
Progress of this one, so far:
DVD/CD freestanding shelves for living room, about a third done (all shelves cut to size).
State Fair: Spent most of one day, would happily go back.
Ham antenna: relocated the front-yard end of the big one (G5RV) to a different tree, haven't checked it yet. It's a bit less straight-line than it was.
Removed a lot of dead branches from the new antenna-holding tree.
Dying tree in front yard: spoke to Local Tree Expert Jim, who was working around the corner, and he'll get back to me with an estimate. I'm sorry to have to give this one up; it split into two large branches about 10' up and we lost the longer (and most leafy one) in June of 2010. What remained was hanging but didn't fare well in last summer's drought. Ths year, it leafed out valiantly, but they started dropping several weeks ago and now nearly all the remaining one have turned brown. Poor tree! It did well but had trouble ever since the (former) other silver maple fell on it in 2010. And yes, this is the tree I moved my antenna from
AM ham transmitter: powered it up slowly with The Gadget last evening, had it running and was making good progress until I shut down to get my RF Wattmeter: turned it back on and the internal fuse blew! I may have short-cycled it, as I was using the switch on the power strip and some tube gear doesn't like that. Or there could be a component failure. Took a quick look under the chassis before I started and it appears all of the parts are original. (For hams who read this blog, it's a DX-60, so the "internal" fuse is in the power plug. How British. Except this is the American version, once commonly used for electric fence power supplies.)
Plenty left yet to do.
T. R. MCELROY'S STREAMLINED TELEGRAPH KEYS
11 months ago