Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Two Things

     First thing: the Prednisone (and not very much of it) has turned out to have had a nasty side-effect or two on me, the worst of which is that my verbal censor is down and I have had to be very careful to keep my body language muted, or I'm gesturing like a clumsy puppet.  This is far from unknown and should fade away over time.  For now, it sucks out loud.  And it sucks worse to know what's going on and still get blindsided by it.  It's one thing to say stuff as you think it; finding yourself saying it while the thought is still forming is frightening.  (On top of it all, I am still having chest pain and coughing.)

     Second thing: came across an article in Wired about cash-strapped civic governments unpaving roads to save money, gravel being a lot cheaper than asphalt. (I'd put in a link but Wired and I are having a little disagreement about my using an adblocker to read their increasinly ill-written content.) This is straight out of the eerie post-industrial heartland of Atlas Shrugged -- and is no real surprise.  In the real world, there's no John Galt; we can take some comfort that the villains are nowhere near Rand-scale, but not very much comfort.

     I'm having a little trouble with the optimism this morning.

8 comments:

Rob K said...

I'm a victim of that depaving of roads. When I bought my house, the road was chip-and-seal in need of a refresh. After several years of no refresh, the county ground it back to gravel. At least they grade it and add gravel every couple of months.

Rob K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob K said...

Posting from my phone seems to double post. Sorry `bout that!

Anonymous said...


"...finding yourself saying it while the thought is still forming is frightening."

I contemplated that a bit. I seems to me, when in the process of forming thought, that first initial formation is raw emotion, and then 'tempered' with caution.

I'd hate to have it happen to me, but for those who deal with you on a daily basis it's damn valuable. It shows them the base *you*.

Unlike lots of folks who believe themselves to be an overall nice person, when in reality they are insufferable a**holes, I'm quite aware I'm not a nice person at all. Like most folks,I temper it a bit to glide through life. Well, maybe not *glide*, per se...

From reading your writings over the past few months, it seems to me in dealing with others you enjoy locking horns, conflict, arguing, fighting. You don't suffer fools lightly.

Nothing really wrong with that, as long as you don't delude yourself that you're not all sweetness and light. :) Except to the cats...

Jay Dee said...

Hi Roberta,

Check out the Singing Patient on Youtube. Her song Prednisone is a hoot

Jay

Guffaw in AZ said...

We are ALL John Galt!

And I was on prednisone during my chemo. Was to whacked out on the chemo meds to notice...

gfa

Roberta X, in bed sick. said...

Anon, you really don't know me. Not a bit.

Anonymous said...

What addblocker(s) are you using? Is this from PC, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, or other?

I tested from my iPad mini and didn't notice any issues but I use private browsing, restricted cookies, & three addblockers (Firefox's Focous for Safari on iPad/iPhone what I recommend for iOS users currently, as well as ABP, & F Secure's AdBlocker. While for PC, Mac, Chromebooks I recommend & use Ublock Origin because it allows for more Privacy & Security protection than typical addblockers, it's not a true replacement for NoScript on Firefox but if using Chrome as browser it does a lot & I like it better than the limited NoScript imitator for chrome NotScript IIRC).

I can try testing to see if I can replicate issue, I've found that often that type of issue can be fixed by updating whatever AdBlocker one is using, though sometimes it's a while before specific AdBlocker figures out issue and fixes it.

Dov