Monday, September 21, 2020

Political-Ad Season

      Ah, the wonders of every even-year Autumn!  The crisp air, the apple cider, the bountiful garden harvests -- well, other people's bountiful garden harvests, we kind of dropped the ball* -- and the endless political ads.

     I'd like to tell you this year they're a cut above, issue-focused commercials from smart politicians with clear plans, but it's the same old glurge only worse, two motherhoods and an apple pie in every pot and a promise to follow their Party's line, just as soon as they know what it is.

     Give me a set of Punch & Judy puppets and cage of inebriated monkeys, and I'll give you a collection of candidates for political office -- and the monkeys will throw less dung.

     This regular performance should help keep us from becoming too fond of our office-holders, and yet willing to allow them to entertain one another with their feats of loyalty, camel-swallowing and gnat-straining.  I have a very short list of candidates I approve of, a longer list of ones I will vote for just to spite the twits, and a tiny list to hold-my-nose-and-vote for.  But I need to do more research before my loathing is ripe.
____________________________
* The tiny garden has nightshade and pokeweed, violets and honeysuckle, and some feral garlic chives. I think we got rid of all the poison ivy in it, at least.

3 comments:

RandyGC said...

What little TV I watch these days is usually something recorded on the DVR. So I can basically zip through those (and most other commercials. I will slow down and watch a new Geico commercial).

Sean D Sorrentino said...

I love the fact that I almost never have to see political ads. It's right up there with my ability to avoid Christmas ads.

Cop Car said...

Ah, yes, Autumns make it worth struggling through terrible summers. I've probably canned the last tomatoes and salsa, for the year, having already uprooted nearly half of the plants. I will miss those fresh treats during the winter and spring months.

I mute the ads if I can't escape them by switching to PBS or some other channel.