Monday, November 12, 2007

Officially, It's Today

Memorial Day, that is, and I hope you have a chance to thank a warrior. If you are a warrior, my heartfelt appreciation to you.

Being a little old-fashioned, I stopped for moment yesterday at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month and reflected on the nature of honor, duty, being willing to go stand up for modern civilization and the men and women who demonstrate those qualities in abundance.

As happens, I don't have a very high opinion of President Woodrow Wilson or his nasty foray into European wars. If you ask me the man was a short-sighted racist and those are merely his least-obnoxious qualities; but his likeness to the proverbial toad does not detract at all from the valor of those who, when the call came, took up arms and did the job. --If there's some parallel there to current events, well, how about that. Now, go thank a soldier, sailor, flyboy, Coastie or Marine, okay?

No comments: