Tuesday, June 23, 2015

H'mm

     You know, I went to write a long essay and stopped just now about three-quarters of the way through.  Just gave up on it.  It's unlikely to change any minds.

     Ain't working.  Need something better. So I'm borrowing Kerry's birthday wish and passing it on:

     Here's his and my happy-rainbow wish for y'all: be nicer to others.  Yeah, most of your peers are ignorant yammerheads, at least some of the time.  So are you.  So am I.  Some people are heedless.   And some people are just plain evil.

     We can't fix 'em.  Our only real resource is ourselves.  So fix what you can reach: Be a little nicer to others.  Cut 'em some slack.  Maybe they are idiots -- so what?  If they're not hurting anyone, leave 'em be.  If they're worrying you, talk to them.

     I'm not asking you to love everybody, or to trust them.  I'm not even asking you to like them.  Just -- be nicer.

     Try it.  Even if for only one day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea!

gfa

Anonymous said...

Looks around, with worried expression on face

But I am nice.

Monty James

Anonymous said...

You understand what I was trying to say. So far, only one other person who read my post seemed to understand it.

Kerry

Roberta X said...

Thanks, Kerry! I wrote in some haste this morning -- I have now edited it to give credit where it is due.

Anonymous said...

I didn't expect to be named. It's nice to know people get it when you write something. I don't put it out there very often, tending more towards a quick comment or picture. It was nice to see you and one other got the idea that I wasn't telling people to go out and make a donation to a charity or pay for someones coffee at the starbucks. I wanted people to do something to make others smile; usually that can be done just by being nice.

Kerry

Roberta X said...

Expect, maybe not. Deserve? Yes. Because of what you wrote just now, and the thought behind your request of a few days ago, :)