Friday, February 17, 2017

No Bench

     It turns out that whatever Tam's got is not what I had earlier -- and now I've got it, too.  I woke several times during the night, coughing, and had trouble getting back to sleep.  It's a nasty, insistent, near-dry, wheezing cough that tastes metallic, not easy to ignore.

     So, call in sick, right?  Wrong.  We've got a tech out on vacation, the third day-shift tech is only on days Tues-Thurs, and that leaves exactly one genuine Engineering Technician on duty after the early-morning tech departs: me.  So if I can possibly haul my wheezing self out of the house, I need to proceed onward to work.  It's not dedication -- I don't trust the technical managerial types* to not make a mess of whatever will break today.  Nice fellows, but they don't hardly sling solder and haven't for years.
_______________________________________
* From 11:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., there will be three (3) Engineering managers to one maintenance tech.  In fairness, there will also be one or two operating techs and a technical assistant, so at worst it's a 1:1 ratio.  I have absolutely no opinion to share about this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good disaster caused by management might inject some sanity into the environment

pigpen51 said...

I understand completely. If you don't go in, then the mess you have to deal with later on will be three times worse. So you go in, feeling like crap, knowing that at least you will avoid the worse feeling you would have later after cleaning up after someone who has no idea how to do your job, but tries anyway. Good luck, and feel better soon.

c-90 said...

It's a plot by Skywatch to disable the techs who can turn it off.

Roberta X said...

"A good disaster caused by management might inject some sanity into the environment."

It would not. How do I know this? Because we deal with the aftermath every day of a couple of them, and there's a third brewing to the tune of millions of dollars. Of course, the D-word is never, ever used.