Saturday, July 22, 2017

The Trash Runner

     There was a thunderstorm and heavy rain Friday morning.  As a result, I missed taking the trash out early. When I did take it to the curb, I realized the truck was already a block past the house.

     The (standardized) trash can has big wheels, the truck doesn't move quickly and I am my mother's daughter: rain was still falling as I took off after the truck in my walking sandals, nightgown and robe.

     By the time I had closed the gap, he was at the last house in the next block from mine. I waved and yelled and the driver stopped, got out and lined up the trash can with with the loading gadget, chuckling. "Lady, " he said, "next time, just put it across the street from your house. I pick up on that side a couple of hours later!"

     Good exercise, right?

6 comments:

JayNola said...

Nothing like an early morning hustle to get the blood flowing!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

the loneliness of the long distance runner

pigpen51 said...

Chariots of Fire theme song somehow seems appropriate.

Merle said...

bitter lesson # 417..... :)

Merle

Zendo Deb said...

My garbage is picked up at 0'dark-thirty in the AM. I put it out the night before. Not allowed in the great metropolis?

Roberta X said...

Allowed but the weather was lousy that evening, so I put it off. Not a good plan.