Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Day Before The Day

     Be careful out there, please?  Here in the Midwest, we've got a snoot-full of Winter, or as close as you can get without snow up to your tailbone.  Jack Frost has had a nip or two already; it's just freezing and while we'll claw up out of that today, we're not going to get far.

     Roads are already jammed, so mind how you go, as you head through the river and over the woods (oh, dear) for Grandmother's house.

     Here at Roseholme Cottage, Thanksgiving will be the usual quiet, gustatory event, with turducken and some kind of bacon gravy -- mashed cauliflower will likely replace the usual mashed tatties (despite my tears: I grew up thinking potatoes in every form were an essential nutrient and you'd probably fall ill if you didn't have them several days a week) and there may even be salad.  Possibly a libation or two.  What wine with turducken -- or do you take a small whiskey, instead, while hoping the patchwork beast doesn't break free of its restraints?

     I hope you and yours find many good things for which to be thankful.  As for me, it's the season of Holiday Specials and I'm off to a bit of a rehearsal today, with the real thing to follow come Friday.  I'll be thankful if we get through it with the minimum of fuss and bother.

4 comments:

Blackwing1 said...

I've never had a turducken, but for turkey and duck, a good solid red is always my choice. Charles Krug cabernet comes to mind. For chicken I like a nice chardonnay.

So open one of each!

Have a wonderful giving of Thanks to your deity of choice, or just to the universe in general, for giving us a planet on which we can live. Or when I really want to get persnickety and acknowledge the web of civilization that helps keep us alive, I thank the guy who machined the brass parts that went into the expansion valve on the refrigeration system of the truck that delivered our cold food to the store where we were able to buy it, maintaining the cold-chain through the entire trip. Most people don't understand just how fragile our society is, and I'm thankful every day for living where we have cheap food, running water, central heat, and (perhaps most importantly) nobody shooting at us.

Drang said...

A resource: Food and Wine Pairing
For turkey we usually go with a Riesling or a Vigonier.
Duck... I don't know.
It's all a matter of taste anyway, as I keep telling people.
This year, I'll probably be drinking, since I'l be heading off to work shortly thereafter.

Old NFO said...

Enjoy the peace and quiet. Drink what you want with it! :-D

Ken said...

We had a fine Gewurztraminer from Biltmore (yes, that Biltmore, in Asheville -- the winery there turns out some impressive whites these days) before dinner, but I had an IPA (from Yards, out of Philly) with dinner.