Thursday, June 05, 2008

So, Rev. Jackson Is Chopped Liver?

It's been gnawing at me for a good long while: Michelle Obama said her husband's primary run was the first time she felt proud of America.

I am no fan of Jesse Jackson but the man made a credible run for the Democratic nomination some years ago; I don't agree with his opinions on just about everything but look, lady, he put in the long hours and the baby-kissin' and the meetings and speeches, and people did not treat him like a singing pig. Every step your hubby took on the campaign trail? Reverend Jackson was there first.

Why didn't his effort make you proud?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

because Jackson wasn't going to get HER into the White House, too,
at least not legitimately.

phlegmfatale said...

perfectly stated.

Anonymous said...

Not necessarily. Back in 1988 when I was a (shudder) Democrat attending UC Berkeley, I was one of the few white faces in the crowd at a Jesse Jackson campaign rally in Pittsburg, California. After it was over, amid the throng walking back to the parking lot, I heard several African-Americans saying things like, "Jesse's the man, but I don't know that I'd vote for him for President."

breda said...

ego.