Wednesday, June 08, 2016

I Slept Smugly Last Night

     Cradled in the roar of a box fan propped in the window, blessed oblivion.  Blessed smug oblivion -- just filled with homeownerly virtue:

     Got home yesterday evening, broke out the long garden hose, found the spray nozzle, hooked it up and cleaned the condensing unit for the air-conditioning. Then I changed the filter in the furnace/air handler, drained and put away the hose, dug out the box fan and set up in my bedroom window, because we're having a short run of nice, cool weather.


     I have the HVAC tech scheduled Friday nevertheless; we're due for temperatures in the 90s by the weekend and it appears the air conditioning is low on working fluid.

3 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Apparently your box fan made Tam dream of asteroids :)

Roberta X said...

Had I but known, I might have gotten a blanket instead. I was getting cold!

Anonymous said...



Something to consider is a whole-house fan mounted in the attic. For more northern climes like yours, they can be quite effective, pulling in cool night air through the bedroom windows and then through a ceiling louver someplace (like the hatch you access the attic) then out an eave away from the sleeping areas.

Variable-speed and thermostatically-controlled they can be quite nice...