Sunday, June 04, 2017

Work, Work, But At Least At Home

     Saturday, the Data Viking visited and he and Tam and her friend Mike and I all had breakfast (at Taste -- lovely stuff!) and went to the gun show.  Just about walked myself out -- and I'm still getting over the cold.  After, most everyone had something else to do.  What I had to do was mow the lawn, which I did by sheer force of will, burning through three bottles of water in the process.  With that done, I came back inside, peeled out of my sweaty glow-y clothes, got into light PJs and took a nap until bedtime.

     Today was kinda more of the same: cleaned the gutters, grilled a nice late lunch/early supper, got Tam's help reattaching a strip of vinyl siding to the garage (clearly a lowest-bidder job), and repaired the support that gets the open-wire feedline for my main ham radio antenna past the gutter and above roof level: the Linedragon!

     Still needs some adjustment, maybe drill to clear another line spacer.  The old one succumbed to the elements. The replacement got a few coats of linseed oil and we'll see if that helps.

4 comments:

jdunmyer said...

FWIW: I just had gutter guards installed on my garage gutters. Total length about 64', total cost was $166.00. If they keep the pine needles out, I'll be very happy.

Anonymous said...

For your line dragon -

They make an outdoor deck planking called Trex that is a sawdust-infused plastic product, 4 inch wide by 1 inch thick. Will not rot. Pretty much impervious to the elements. No need to paint, but you can. Should easily outlive you...

http://www.trex.com/why-trex/industry-leader/

Anonymous said...

Linseed Oil is a temporary solution for outdoor stuff. Though you can keep reapplying it. For outdoor stuff that isn't teak (or some equally expensive tropical wood) paint works best.

Roberta X said...

Linseed oil dries quickly, at least well enough to handle. Pine 1x4 was what I had on hand. Painted plywood lasted fairly well and i was short on time and energy; I count it a win to have repaired the thing at all.

I'm going to have to install gutter screens while I still can, but not this week.