Sunday, March 24, 2024

A Happier Topic

     Food!  I had some theories about Spam and potato hash, and gave them a try for brunch:

     I put the diced potato and a little olive oil, one layer thick in a covered skillet and set it cooking over medium heat with some dried onion flakes.  I diced a can of Spam and put the diced meat in a bowl of cold water (I used a couple of small paper bowls for less clean up) and let it soak, then poured off the water and rinsed it a couple of times.  I diced up the equivalent of a large carrot and set it aside.

     When the potatoes looked just about cooked through, I added the carrot and the Spam on top, spread them out in an even layer, put the lid back on and gave it several minutes to cook while I diced a couple of small bell peppers, red and orange.  Then I took the lid off, turned the heat up, and stirred everything together, adding the peppers.  I stirred and turned it uncovered until the potatoes and meat were browned enough to suit me, and gave it a taste.

     The soaking, rinsing and cooking with potatoes had knocked the saltiness down without losing any flavor!

     This would probably work with canned corned beef, too.

1 comment:

grich said...

We did something resembling that last week, but without the carrot, and using the dehydrated hash browns that come in cardboard cartons. We will usually put the ingredients into an ancient Griswold skillet, cover in foil, and pop it in the oven. My wife will also add an egg. It's easy to throw together and we get two meals out of it.