Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Likely Story

Couple of days ago, I spent over ten minutes in a dead stop on College Avenue, a street not noted for traffic jams, or at least not at the times I usually commute.

Eventually, I could see police car lights up ahead, so I figured it was a bad accident -- and at an intersection with a police station and a firehouse on adjacent corners. Oh, dear.

We crept on up and as I got close enough, I could see a TV news truck parked ahead on my right, with a camera set up and a crowd looking across the street. I glanced over and-- It was a house! Filled the street curb to curb and overlapped a little on each side.

Yep. They were moving a house down the cross street. I had to call my boss and 'fess up I was going to be late 'cos traffic was stopped for a house in the road. ...There some some skepticism at first....

6 comments:

Drang said...

You'd think they'd tell people these things were gonna happen...

Phillip said...

D.W., they announce it in the paper... who reads the paper? :-)

We've had that sort of thing happen a few times down here, but a more normal traffic delay here is when they're moving the pre-built bridge parts from the concrete plant. When the support beam is so long that you have to use a split truck to carry it, it does require a little traffic blocking.

Stephanie Belser said...

This is a vid of a house move, though you have to go about 3:15 or so into it before the trucks start rolling. (I don't get why they added a German music track, either.)

LabRat said...

On the road up from Los Alamos to Secret Location, CO there's a ninety-degree bend in the road after many miles of hypnotizing flat, arrow-straightness. There's a road sign to warn you it's coming, but according to the locals it claims multiple truckers a year to the point where some folks make a decent supplement to their income off salvage from the wrecks.

On our way up to Blogorado this year, we had to be waved around a wrecked house on this curve... a very sobering sight, that.

Drang said...

And from the Only in Washington File, how many of you have been stuck in traffic behind a 737?

Anonymous said...

What about the guy who lost his house on the Hollywood Freeway a few years back? http://boingboing.net/2007/09/25/person-ditches-house.html