Sunday, September 05, 2010

Well, That Was Interesting

...Shootin' Buddy showed up at some ghastly hour in the morning -- 0800 or some such -- and carried Tam off for a healthy breakfast. Me, I stayed home and struggled my way awake.

Luckily, they waited for me 'pon their return and in due course, or at least due course:45, the three of us headed up the Monon.

I have not been bicycling as much as I should. I'd argue the unusually hot summer we've had has made it more difficult -- but I'm weaselling and you know it. We went as far as Bub's (now world famous -- deservedly so but it means the lines are longer than ever!) and kept going. Mind you, that means through two tunnels and over a high, arched bridge: I almost had to get off and walk, climbing it.

Further up the line, Tam spotted a turnoff: The Hagan-Burke Trail, so new I can't find it on Carmel's bike-trail website. It was a pleasent few miles of winding pathway, before ending at an East-West connector bike line on a busy street; we we turned around and headed back.

By then, bike shops were opening (at least the ones that open on Sunday), so we stopped and shopped (I needed a new valve cap, Shootin' Buddy's in the market for one of those center-frame bags) and made our way, eventually, to the Broad Ripple Brew Pub for fine pub grub.

By the time I got home (Tam and SB diverted to the grocer's), I was fair wore out, but it was too good an opportunity to miss: with three adults and a truck, I was able to get the window seat out of the garage and into the house. (And I left my sidearm in SB's glove compartment, having stowed it there while crowded into the truck with a very large piece of furniture; late word is it's in his safe and will return on his next visit. Meantime, I've stepped up from the little .380 to my "winter gun," an old Star BKM 9mm -- it's that or a 1911).

Got about that far and had to nap. Srsly, 1600 on a beautiful day and I was horizontal and asleep about as fast as it takes to type. 16-some miles on the bike, a hearty lunch and a couple of good stretching-out breaks: I should do it a lot more often.

It was a good day.

7 comments:

John B said...

I chased down a friend for six months trying to return her pistol.

I finally took it out on the range, ran a box through it, and cleaned it thoroughly. Planned to do it again next week.

She came and got it the next day!

I know SB and you aren't like I and my friend. Hope that it doesn't go into a mini game of tag.

Roberta X said...

Me, too, as I am very fond of my Colt Pony Pocketlite. It's DAO, with an excellent trigger pull, a very reasonable "purse and pocket gun."

Bubblehead Les. said...

Thanks for doing my exercise for me! Keep it up, I'll be skinny in no time! Seriously, just be glad you don't live in those states whereby losing possession of your weapon from your person would have you looking at time in the Hoosegow if caught.

Anonymous said...

Chuckle: The description of a Sunday on the Monon reminds me of the time I was an employee, and had Sunday off. Now I am an employer - and people do not own businesses, businesses own people.

Stranger

Roberta X said...

Tell it to the bicycle shop in Broad Ripple, Stranger. They're closed Sunday!

Turk Turon said...

Sounds like a great day! I wish I could've joined you.

Roberta X said...

That would have made the day complete!