Monday, September 05, 2011

Katy Green

--She looks like a leaf that woke up and decided to try hopping:A couple of commenters have mentioned how they just couldn't possibly live anyplace where you could tell the season by the insect life; I guess that means I'm popular in sterile facilities located in the Polar regions, 'cos anywhere else, you have bugs.

You just do. They've got us outnumbered and most of them are no problem. Katydid and cicadas certainly aren't, other than the noise. (Okay, it's possible katydids might show up in sufficient numbers to vex a farmer.) Katydids sing me to sleep every night in the Summer and Fall; I can't image disliking them. (I like cicadas, too -- did you know the males have a mechanical disconnect in their ears? 'Strewth, a boy cicada can turn off his tympana. So human! Actually, it's so they don't deafen themselves, the cheaters). --Crickets are okay other than running loose indoors, I draw the line at that. (There's a batch outside now, complaining "chill...chill....chill" very slowly.)

Wherever you are, bugs are there, too (with a few exceptions -- high enough and/or dry enough, even the persistent ones tend to go ::pop::). Many are quite beautiful -- might as well enjoy them!

4 comments:

bluntobject said...

I have no problems with insects that keep to themselves. Flies that invade my garbage, mosquitoes that see me as an ambulatory snack, and wasps that try to bogart my beer are likely to provoke an unfriendly response. Otherwise, I'm quite happy to enjoy or at least ignore the little arthropodae.

One of the joys of writing software on contract is that I can, should I choose, work my billable hours deep into the night. As such, my apartment's lights tend to attract a fair few insects... as well as some orb-weaver spiders to eat them. I quite like spiders -- as long as they don't take up residence indoors, or failing that as long as they pay the rent on time -- so this is a win-win.

greg said...

Like bluntobject, I'm not entirely anti-bug, I'm anti-nuisance bug. I'm one of those areas that tends to be dry enough that bugs aren't a huge issue...most of our bugs have a good PR Departments...ladybugs, grasshoppers and mantis's...not a nasty bug in the lot...although, we do have both black widows and brown recluse spiders, I haven't run into one myself yet...

The katydid looks fairly non-offensive. For a few years as a kid I lived in Texas...you want to talk about bugs...when the locusts were dying off, I kept remember that scene from Temple of Doom...'It sounds like we're walking on fortune cookies.' Now that is an 'Ick!'

Old NFO said...

Meh- Come to Louisiana, and meet the mosquitoes! Three of them get together, they decide whether to carry you home or eat you there...

Skip said...

Like NFO said.
When I was on the Gulf Coast the sceeters needed to clear the tower to land.