Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Seven-League Days?

     Between one thing and another -- my one-in-three rotation on the early-early shift Sunday and Monday, plus needing to be awake until Monday afternoon to sign for a UPS delivery Tam wasn't going to be home to receive -- Monday started about 10:15 p.m. Sunday night, when I woke up early, and ran right through to about 5:30 p.m. Monday, when I finally laid down and was promptly enfolded in the giant, fuzzy grip of sleep.  (A bicycle trip shortly before three p.m. had convinced me I might not be operating at 100%: arrived at the store only to discover I'd forgotten the key to the bike lock, and to realize that I didn't have enough energy left to make another trip and operating a motor vehicle was out of the question.  Just as well: the parcel, which had failed to arrive in the promised time span, showed up about five minutes after I was back in the house.  Fate?  Freight!*)

     Typically, I end the two early days with an afternoon nap and a kind of short extra "day" Monday evening.  This time, I slept nearly straight through to 5:00 a.m., eleven and a half hours with only the shortest of necessity breaks around 11 p.m..  I'd love to tell you I awoke refreshed.  --Nope.  I could crawl right back under the covers and sleep until mid-afternoon, and I happily would, too.  There is, however, much to accomplish today, and therefore no sleep for even the Chaotic Good.

     I volunteered to work two such shifts in a row in order to have a Friday off for the big Dayton Hamvention.  Possibly not my cleverest plan but it's the only one that'll work.
________________________________________
* If you liked that, such a deal I have for you!

9 comments:

rickn8or said...

Well, pleasant dreams when it finally happens.

LCB said...

Bring Tam with you. She can check out the USAF museum while you Ham it up.

And on that Friday, I'd be glad to buy both of you lunch. I works in Dayton...

LCB said...

ahhh...crap...not this time. I'll be in Columbus on the 17th. :-(

Roberta X said...

Hamvention is pretty much non-stop, all-day for me, anyway. I usually just barely make it through the whole thing.

RandyGC said...

I can't make Friday due to work commitments, but if you're there Sat and Sun, maybe we can set up an eyeball QSL.

Roberta X said...

We'll see, Randy -- at this point, it's all up in the air. They haven't posted the schedules. Looks like I'll have a couple of straight-through weeks in May.

In the past, I've done Dayton on Friday and the Broad Ripple Art Fair on Sunday. Saturday mostly consisted of sleeping very late and eating well.

LCB: thanks for the offer, anyway!

Old NFO said...

Yep, shift work plays hell with sleep patterns, especially what you're doing. But it IS for a good cause! Hang in there!

LCB said...

You and Tam still need to come over one day to see the USAF. And I mean DAY...if you read the stuff (like I try to do) one day will only be enough to see the main buildings, not the remote hangers.

If you ever do that I'll buy you guys dinner. Cause you won't want to leave during the day. :-)

Roberta X said...

You're on! --I visited with my ex a couple of times, and never managed to see it all.