Saturday, September 08, 2018

Rain And Turnips

     The good news is, you can cut turnips into thin slices and fry them in bacon grease -- they taste great!  They don't get crisp the way potatoes do, but they're pretty good.  I think cubed turnips and corned beef would be pretty good; you'd want to start the turnips well ahead, and maybe add some onion and diced bell (or other) pepper with the meat.  Might even boil the turnips a little in the skillet; I'm of two minds about that, since the flavor is a little delicate and might be lost that way.

     The bad news?  It's raining.  A lot.  My bad knee has meant I wasn't keeping the gutters clear.  The bill came due last night, with a little water in the basement, so I got out the extension ladder and cleared them in the rain today, six feet at a time.  My hat got soaked, my sweatshirt got soaked, my jeans, shirt, gloves and hands got soaked and I got soaked.   And I did my right knee no good, if the pain and swelling is any indication.  But the gutters and downspouts are clear.

2 comments:

fillyjonk said...

Rutabagas (which are practically turnips and are sometimes called "yellow turnips*,"),potatoes, and beef - pasty filling (and a good hash on its own, especially if you add some allspice and thyme and a little onion.)

I had relatives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and pasties were a big thing; pasty stands were everywhere - they were brought there originally by Cornishmen who came in to work the mines.

I understand parts of Arizona also have a pasty tradition.

(*Or "Swedes," which is probably not very politically correct but they DO feature in a lot of Scandinavian cooking as they grow well in cold climates)

Roberta X said...

Also, IIRC, "neeps." A nice, smooth turnip is a "turned neep," and a swede -- rutabaga -- is a "Swedish turnip." They're close relatives.