Friday, March 08, 2019

Well, That Was Fun

     Not.  I had forgotten the phlebotomist at the my doctor's office -- an outside contractor, so she works for the lab that does analysis -- is deeply, quietly disappointed in pretty much everyone.  Whoever you are, she's over it.  A smile and "Hello" receives a barely perceptible nod; she's got the art of saying the barest minimum required to get the blood-draw done down flat.

     In a way, it's nice -- you're in and out of the room rapidly and smoothly -- and in a way it's heartbreaking, because the impression she leaves is that she has been let down and kicked by everyone she ever met and she's not giving anyone the least flash of personality ever again.

     I've sat in the two-chair "waiting area," a wide spot in the hallway, and witnessed every patient get the same treatment: not unfriendly, not friendly, efficient, resigned and quick.

     I left as I always do, humbled and amazed that anyone could maintain such armor and hoping there's some spot of sunshine in her life and that it never, ever goes out.  I get the impression she'd drown without a word, annoyed as the waters rose but calmly certain no one would ever throw her a lifeline.

6 comments:

Merle said...

that's a sad way to live!

Rich in NC said...

Everybody's an example.
Some are examples of what to be,
some are examples of What Not To be.
"Which is She?" is NOT the question.

Monty James said...

Sounds like she could be a character in the Hidden Frontier. The way you described her makes me interested in her inner life.

Paul B said...

I always try to engage such people so at least for at time they might see something else.

Anonymous said...

it's like that,tired of getting shat on.

John in Philly said...

I can tell an interesting sea story, and I can explain complicated mechanical repairs, and I can converse across a wide range of eclectic subjects, but I don't have the skills to write anything like, ".....she'd drown without a word, annoyed as the waters rose but calmly certain no one would ever throw her a lifeline."

Like Paul B said, I'm going to have to learn to engage those who seem beaten flat by life.