Thursday, March 14, 2019

Yesterday

     The doctor's appointment wasn't quite as bad as I had feared.  She did chide me, but not too harshly.  She's recommending more oatmeal and less bacon, so it's a good thing I like oatmeal.

     The tentative diagnosis of my sore knuckle is "trigger finger," a tightening of the tendon.  She's written a prescription for a topical ointment.

     Spent the work day at the North Campus, mostly clearing away accumulated stuff and taking apart some of the abandoned-in-place stuff.  Took a long walk around the site, checking fences and locks.  The weather was warm and the ground was only a little muddy.  A lot of the site is gets really squishy in the spring, so this was a good chance to check things out.

     Winter might starting to wind down.  It's about time!

5 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Ah, trigger finger. Sally gets that, so does her Dad. When it gets bad enough, they go in for cortisone shots that provide a lot of relief for an extended period.

So far I have been spared this manifestation of evil.

Ygolonac said...

Condolences on your trigger finger - I had the same thing on both middle fingers for a while, exacerbated by cold, and related to the heavy gripping I was having to do on tools at work. (Of course it was during a very cold winter, with a 1.5 mile walk to catch my bus every day.)

Mine would allow the finger to curl into a fist, and then *lock* there until physically pressured into straightening out. (With an audible *POP*, if your ear was close.) :(

Glad to hear yours isn't as bad - hope you're doing better soon!

Will said...

You might want to look into the latest data on eating oats. IIRC, they have recently found it to be less beneficial than originally thought. I have trouble with it, but I'm not sure if it is an allergy, or related to this subject. I ate it often, as it was my favorite cereal.

Anonymous said...

In winter I like making oatmeal in a small crock-pot. Steel-cut oats, assorted chopped dried fruit, pinch of salt, pinch of cinnamon, 50/50 milk and water. Put liner in microwave, nuke until liquid bubbles. Put liner in shell and take dog for walk. Come home to cooked oats. Stir in a beaten egg or two with a splash of vanilla.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Ditto on what Anonymous said.

My wife and I have been caring for my aging parents and they eat oatmeal every morning.

Recently, I was having issues with bran flakes and tried oatmeal for a change of pace. Sucks to get old. It is good to have alternatives.

Oatmeal will never be as tasty as bacon. Still, with quick oats, a dash of cinnamon, a handful of dried cherries and a handful of raisins. 2/3 cup of oats and a coffee cup of water. Better than tolerable.

Oh, I also add a handful of pecans and a splash of milk on mine.