Friday, May 01, 2009

Quick Eats: Cajun Fried Rice

The Lazy Girl Gunblogger Dinner!

You'll need a wok or frying pan, a half-dozen slices of bacon (peppered or applewood smoked preferred), 2 or 3 eggs and a bag of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, Cajun Style (this is the rice-in-a-bag that's nuke & eat, except we're not doing it that way). Plus some chopped chives, green onions or leeks and whatever else looks good.

Start by frying the bacon til it is golden-crisp (I added a very tiny amount of crushed red pepper flakes), then setting it aside to drain. Leave the bacon grease in the pan; you can vary the amount to suit yourself but you'll want a little more than you think. Now dump the rice in and fry it up -- you'll want high heat and it will go pretty fast, 2-3 minutes ought to do it. Push the rice to the sides of the pan, crack the eggs into the center, and scramble them, stirring constantly (I use a chopstick or bamboo skewer, which works well). Add the chives (or whatever -- the leeks or green onions, you might want to add to the rice before you scramble the eggs), crumble the bacon back in, season to taste and enjoy!

Had it tonight. I think adding a dollop of Worcestershire Sauce to the eggs might've improved it but it was pretty good already. Hot, quick and tasty!

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Oh my. . that's sounds good. Your kitchen has such a great assortment of spices and such, I'm not surprised.

When I get back, I am so trying that.

OrangeNeckInNY said...

Oh my! That sounds awfully good!!!