Friday, May 22, 2009

Reading

...A biography of Wernher von Braun by Micheal J. Neufeld, a well-researched and somewhat agnostic account that neither idolizes or demonizes the man. I'm about halfway through (von Braun and the other members of Operation Paperclip are just about to move from Ft. Bliss to Huntsville) and it is remarkably engrossing. As an example of the dangers and rewards of never taking one's eyes off the prize, Dr. von Braun's life and career can hardly be bettered.

I heard him speak and met him briefly, very late in his life and very early in mine. His charm was undeniable even then, even to a small child seeking an autograph.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did what? I guess shall have to be envious, just for today. Going from a salami-sized firecracker in the garden, to the Saturn V, in one man's lifespan, is truly a remarkable feat. I don't recall if the photos came out well, but the F-1 at the NASM is truly a sight to behold.

Jim

w/v: uniog. A cut-rate, unpleasant German 4x4.

sam said...

Wow. Getting to meet Werner von Braun, and hear him speak. I'm envious, too.

WV: domet

Well, duh.

Assrot said...

Hmmm... Looks like I'm going to have to add another book to the library. Hopefully it is available in hardcover.

This guy has been one of my most respected heros since I was a young'un myself.

I've always thought of him as the "Father of Rocket Science".

Your mind never ceases to impress me Roberta. Where were you when I was looking for a wife?

Joe

Home on the Range said...

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

The man frankly, rocks. I have no other verbiage that does him justice.



word verification: TASTE. No, that's not a subliminal message, is it ? :-)

Joe Huffman said...

His daughter lives in the same town I do. She is a chemistry professor at the University. I didn't have her for any of my chemistry classes though. And I don't think Barb or any of the kids did either.

Awesome that you met him.

I took all my kids to Parent Child Space Camp in Huntsville when they were the appropriate age. I applied to be an astronaut--13 days before Challenger blew up and then when they started hiring again it wasn't a good time for me change careers.

Space, it's one of the few possibilities for a free society to start again. [heavy sigh]