Sunday, July 19, 2009

Eagle Creek Range Was Closed

With nothing on the website and nothing on the dial-in line. Second week this has happened. IMPD training going on and hey, okay, I most definitely want My Local Po-Leece to be able to handle guns competently.

But Geez-O-Peet™ would it just kill 'em to give some notice? Would it be that big a problem to schedule around the measly twelve hours a week our tax-supported public range is actually open to the public?

As I understand it, this is not the fault of the volunteers who work as ROs at the the range; IMPD usually gives them exactly as much notice as we get: not a whole lot, if any. Ticks me right off. It's a problem and we need to figure out who needs to have it pointed out. The head honchos of IMPD? The Mayor? Parks Department?

We went down to Atterbury, a very nice (though very doctrinaire, you know, hands above the table, no slow dancing, no hemlines above the knee, that sort of thing) range run by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. Which is precisely what those of us who like to shoot are, a natural resource. One the city seems determined to waste.

4 comments:

Timmeehh said...

Atterly looks like a nice facility. I saw on their website that they were looking to hire full/part time RSOs. Maybe something for Tam?

Mad Saint Jack said...

I'm sad I missed the meet, but part of me is glad I didn't drive two hours and see the Range Closed sign.

Tam said...

"I saw on their website that they were looking to hire full/part time RSOs. Maybe something for Tam?"

I mentioned to the chief R.O. that I would not be averse to an application...

(WV = "hawkdog". Lock and load, people; SkyNet has achieved sentience.)

Timmeehh said...

Good Luck! :)