Friday, November 02, 2012

Fair's Fair: What Richard Mourdock Really Said

     Nope, not the one about conception, the other sound bite that opposing ads keep quoting:  "To me, the highlight of politics, frankly, is to inflict my opinion on someone else...."

     Wow. Pretty damning stuff, hey? Sounds like Mussolini on a whiny day -- well, any day -- doesn't it?

      But what does that "..." conceal? Here's the quote in context:
      "To me, the highlight of politics, frankly, is to inflict my opinion on someone else from the microphone or in front of a camera, to win them over to my point of view. If I am fortunate enough to become a United States senator, we're going to be involved with the national argument…"

     H'mm.  "...win them over..."  "...national argument..."  Hey!  Just a minnit!  He's talking about persuasion, not force.

     Yep.  Mourdock wants to bend your ear, not bend you to his will.

     And the opposing ads are the very definition of "disingenuous."

     (My thanks to NBC, who preserved the full quote.  And to Tam, who found it when I was short on spare time.)

No comments: