Saturday, May 14, 2016

'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky

     Work started about 10:30 yesterday morning.  It ended about 2:00 this morning.  I was a little punchy on the drive home and the ol' RX CCC was burning the BUY GAS NOW light.  In downtown Indy in the wee sma' hours?  Not on a bet!  So I drove home with great care, one eye on the miles-per-gallon display, and if Johnny Law had seen me, he'd'a pulled me over and sniffed for burnin' herb.

     The extra time was to run some wiring to a place it had never been, and yet was "suddenly" needed for something that had been known (to others) far enough in advance to have had posters printed and the room decorated, presumably instead of asking if the necessary technical features were available -- a place that was on the far side of three fire-rated walls  A place to which only one of my peers had ever run any wire; he was on vacation yesterday and the wire in question was a single thin cable-TV coax.  I had a few (ahem) more things in my collection of wires.  Did the whole run single-handed because if you're going to have to make a lot of ill-informed guesses and you're on a deadline, it's better to just have one person guessing. And drilling through the fire-rated walls in the dust and insulation above the suspended ceiling.  And looking around for the pink fire caulk.

     I was in bed by 3:00 a.m.  The cats were fighting by 3:15.  It's been a short night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the kind of thing that needs to be brought to the attention of someone at a higher level.

There is NO EXCUSE for doing everything EXCEPT talking to the engineers.

Personally, I hope you had to drill through some of those nice decorations, because when you do 1st things last, that is what you should expect.

Anonymous said...

Why aren't you refueling at ~50% on the fuel gauge?

Glamdring

Old NFO said...

I'm betting you didn't find any fire caulk either... sigh

Roberta X said...

Glamdring: I don;t know, do you have a smoke detector and fire extinguisher for every level of your house?

If you haven't noticed, my Mom's been having some issues that required my participation; I have been driving more and having less free time.

Old NFO: There are questions one does not answer.

Roberta X said...

Wheelgun: I'll be sure to tell the President/CEO to give our V.P./General Manager a good talking-to. ;)

It actually didn't occur to any of our non-technical brass that the big, fancy conference room had no high-definition video feed. When they scheduled the satellite feed, my department had to play catch-up. We were lucky to find out Friday.

Lergnom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry for the problems at your Mom's nursing home, read those posts after reading & responding to this one, wasn't trying to add to your frustration with my comments :-( my apologies for that.


~Glamdring

Roberta X said...

Glamdring: Undestood, and the refill-at-half should be SOP. I'm good about it in the winter.