Monday, March 19, 2018

What I Did On A Day When I Didn't Do Anything

     Yesterday began with reduced expectations.  I wasn't feeling great and had slept poorly.  Still, a day so sunny and warm -- outside temperatures officially reached 55, and felt warmer in the sun -- cried out for doing something.

     Something it was.  I went to fetch the trash can from the curb and stayed to pull up the stalks of last summer's hostas and wildflowers.  That out of the way, I rested a bit and then went to the garage to look for a gadget that should be out there somewhere.  Didn't find it, but I did start up the scooter, and take it up and down the alley slowly before deciding that I'd better replace the battery, which I didn't get out before winter temperatures plunged into the single digits and stayed there.

     After another rest and a bit of lunch, I decided to assemble a typewriter stand I've had for several years.  It turned out to be nice enough that I replaced the ribbon in my Oliver portable to celebrate.  And I did a little --  a very little -- sorting and straightening up. 

     Not bad, I think, for a "sick day."  And I'm taking my medicine and starting to feel better.

3 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

You have an Oliver portable? Have you shared glamor shots of same?

Unknown said...

Small victories, ma’am, are victories never the less. And as they add up, at least in my case, they result in greater and greater feelings of normalcy, which to me represents a strategic victory.

Yesterday, that meant a pot roast with carrot and mushrooms, home made scalloped potatoes, and black eyed peas with Tasso, onion, and garlic. My only regret is that I haven’t really gotten good with cornbread. The leftover roast has been shredded, the stock thickened, and shall be served as “debris” either on a day-old French loaf or over pommes frites.

The chemo has done unpleasant things to my memory and stamina, so having recovered to the point I find myself interested in these simple culinary endeavors is truly liberating.

Old NFO said...

It's little positives that make one's day, especially when you're not feeling well. I'd call that a win!