Monday, August 28, 2017

Things I Don't Need To Comment (Much) On

     A short list of stuff that I have noticed but don't need to go in any depth or detail about:

     The ongoing natural disaster in Texas -- and now moving into Louisiana.  It is indeed awful.  When radar last week showed a storm about the size of Texas moving into Texas, nobody thought it was going to be minor.  Getting a yard of rainfall over a couple of days is the stuff of nightmares and Texans are coping amazingly well.

     Nazis, neo-Nazis and nitwits cosplaying their ideas: still bad. Thuggery is no fit basis for a system of government.  Communism: still not a viable way to run a large-scale economy, let alone a government.  On a small scale, an electorate dedicated to making a participatory system of government work can make pretty much any of them work -- but systems in which a small, empowered "elite"or "vanguard" run things inevitably become abusive.  How many times does our species need to run the Stanford Prison Experiment at nation-state scale before we fully grasp that?

     The Presidency is still a train-wreck.  Didn't vote for him, didn't vote for his big-party opponent.  I'm not terribly surprised at how things are turning out and I don't think they would have been any less messy, though differently so, under Ms. Clinton.  We're probably looking at the new normal and I will once again remind readers that while Presidents can routinely ruin your day, Congress can -- and does -- routinely ruin your decade.  WW III and similar fantasies aside, which one ought we be keeping a closer eye on?  I'm happy they all watch one another and if you think it's a circus now, wait until the mid-terms.

     Much closer to home: Touch-typing. Still working on it.  I added a wrist rest a few weeks ago and it helps.  It's nice to be able to watch the screen as I type but not quite habitual yet.

4 comments:

Blackwing1 said...

I seem to remember from learning to type about 4-1/2 decades ago:

"Eff, Dee, Ess, Aye...Jay, Kay, Ell, semi", over and over again, and then adding the other letters as we went.

I can hit about 90 words a minute, if I don't care about my error rate.

Countglockula said...

I type semi-touch in that the eyeballs flick up and down at a semi-comfortable rate. The work is done by index and middle fingers only, with pinky in the Shift bar.

I've learned(?) this method from spending my working career looking at computer printouts, editing code, and making a few blog replies.

Not efficient I suppose, but satisfying and gets the job done.

If I were doing it all over I'd do what you are Bobbi, but at three score and ten ++ I think it's a little late in the game for me.
Keep calm and carry on...

Raz

Roberta X said...

Just shy of three score is probably a little late to start, but oh, well....

Drang said...

Storm track has Harvey petering out Sunday night, Monday morning... over Indy. (Or Columbus, the cone gets a little wide that far out.)

As for typing, the Army made me take a typing test, I get as far as I needed to to pas, and stopped officially, then, I was rated at about 25 words a minute. Later, post-retirement, I took a typing test and was rated something like 45 wpm, with a few errors. (I forget how many errors were allowed, but I was right there.)