Saturday, June 29, 2019

The Cat And I

     Huck and I may not be getting along.  It's chance and bad luck, but somehow, the night before last, he ended up scratching my face, barely missing my right eye.

     He may have been annoying Rannie and tried to escape when I stirred; I might have rolled over on him when we were both asleep.  I don't know; I woke up to pain and a cat tumbling away from me, touched my face and it felt wet, and went down the hall and looked in the mirror to see this:
      It runs from my right ear -- there's a continuation  on my ear proper -- to under my right eye.  There's a shallower, parallel scratch lower on my face and another small one next to my lip.

     He normally sleeps at or between my feet, like a loyal dog.  Tamara's cat, Rannie Wu, often sleeps at or on my right shoulder and my bed is usually neutral ground, off-limits for troublemaking.  So this is a mystery.

     The problem is, I don't feel like risking further damage.  At the very least, his days of sleeping on my bed are over.  Huck may be too much tomcat for a little old lady to manage.

4 comments:

JPD said...

Close call there. Pleased it was not worse. Question. Little old lady?? Where? Who? Your loyal followers only know a young, hot, smart career woman.

fillyjonk said...

I assumed she meant Rannie Wu by the "little old lady" remark ;)

Will said...

I've noticed over the years that cats tend to want to swat at faces when they are displeased with humans and dogs. I assume they learn this action by tussling with litter-mates. Unless they are belly to belly and trying for a disemboweling with the hind claws, face to face action seems to be the default position for cats.

Many decades ago, my first landlady had three VERY large tomcats. I learned to carry a broom when I had to be around them, which was frustrating as I love cats. One evening, I had to take her for medical attention, as one of them had laid her leg open to the bone. Nearly the whole length of her shin bone was visible. I told my dad, who had been the previous tenant of my apt, and he got in touch with her kids, who decided it was time for an intervention. The cats were gone a few days later.

No idea how they progressed from loving companions to devils in fur coats.

JayNola said...

Sorry for that Ms. Ecks.
Hope that it doesn't further escalate.