Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day

     Don't look at me, I'm an orphan now.

     Three times an orphan in some senses, having moved out at 19 with no little acrimony (nor much education), then reconciling a few years later.  That was followed by moving back nearly a decade later, after some success and one crashing failure at my chosen trade in the exciting, fast-paced broadcast industry.  Of course I went right back to it as soon as I could find even a lousy job, despite parental advice not to, and that precipitated another, "and don't come back!" that took even longer to heal.

     Heal it did, every time, and not because "your Mom has to."  It was made very clear to me growing up that no such obligation existed; quite the reverse.  She chose to, both times, and I shall be forever grateful. (And talked my Dad into going along, too, which was no mean feat.)

     The last parting, no one ever comes back from.  You're left there, alone, and the person who gave you the tools to cope with it?  That would be your mother.

     If your Mom is still around, today would be a very good day to call her up and tell her that you love her.

     One day, she will be too far away to call.

4 comments:

stuartl said...

Very true

RandyGC said...

Made sure to call Mom yesterday.

But every Father's Day I feel some of what you expressed here.

Pigpen51 said...

I understand just how you are feeling. While my parents were living, I took for granted that they would always be here, a quick phone call away, just to ask a question, or to check up on them.
But then all too soon, I found myself wanting to pick up that phone, but I knew that there would not be anyone on the other end to answer it.
I don't think that I have ever felt as alone in my life, as I did at that moment.
So like Roberta said, make sure that you keep in touch with your parents. Time has a strange way of fleeing away from you, when you don't expect it to.
Pigpen51

Anonymous said...

I lost Dad in 1997. Lost Mom in 2018. Your words ring true, you don't realize what you've lost until it is gone for good. My saving grace - I was always nearby to visit and/or talk to on the phone. I always include both my parents in my daily prayers.