Thursday, September 03, 2020

Where Did I Have Them Last?

      Not much change, but one minor triumph -- after a lapse.

     Wednesday, abut dinner time, I needed the spare set of house keys.  There's a hook we keep them on, but when I went to get them, the keys weren't there.

     I wasn't entirely sure when I had last used them.  Checking all the obvious places didn't turn them up.  Eventually, I gave up and went to bed.  It would be easier to find them with daylight anyway.

     Woke up this morning and still felt lousy, but between trying to work from home and napping, I kept looking.  I kept going back to the jeans I wore to the doctor's on Sunday, folded over a pile of pillows for later, since I'd only had them on for a couple of hours.  Nothing.

     In early evening, I was looking for my favorite leather belt.  I'd misplaced, it, too, but it showed up under the jeans and a pillow.  As I picked it up, something else hit the floor with a clunk.  I couldn't find it at first; I was looking for something larger than what the cause turned out to be.

     Yes, the spare keys, which had probably fallen out of the jeans pocket when I first put the jeans there -- fallen onto a pillow, silently.

     Another reminder to put things back in their proper place promptly after use.  You'd think I would have learned that by now. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I lose an item that I used recently, the 1st place I check is the bed. If its been a while, the clothes hamper (especially pocket knives). If they don't turn up there, then the search begins.

Paul said...

#1 rule is put the widget back where you found it

The most ignored rule. I find all kind of things in the yard where they where last used. It is why I have something like 5 claw hammers. And duplicates of almost any small tool.

Blackwing1 said...

The corollary to putting stuff back into its place after using it is to put stuff that you need to remember when going out of the house right where you'll trip over it. With short-term memory filling up (or failing) I find that I'll remember to take or do stuff only if I put it in my own way.

John Peddie (Toronto) said...

Yup. Only reason I c an find my keys and wallet is that I religiously put them on top of the microwave the moment I get home.

And Blackwing is right. Put it on the floor in front of the door, or hang it from the doorknob. You CAN'T miss.

Now, if I could only teach the cellphone to respond!