I guess it appeals to a certain kind of mindset: the so-called "mass deportation rally" that was going to be in Fishers....wasn't in Fishers, just north of Marion County. Instead, the $50-a-head would-be mass-deporters were sent to a parking lot in Greenfield, off to the east of the metro, and from there to a secret location in Boone County, to the northwest. (After all, fuel is so cheap, what's another hour's drive in the rain?)
This fancy double-shuffle was apparently because there was a march of about a thousand people in Fishers in support of immigrants. And I'm not going to condemn anyone for conflict avoidance. I'd rather have 'em dodging than fighting. It's way less messy for everyone else.
But the whole thing seems kind of skeezy, and prerecorded addresses by Micah Beckwith, our religious oddball Lieutenant Governor, and by the always opportunistic more-MAGA-than-thou Attorney General Todd Rokita did nothing to change the impression that the event was mostly a way to separate the credulous from their cash with minimal effort for the people collecting the take. A lot of skulking around, self-directed Nacht und Nebel to enhance the experience.
Press coverage was relatively thin, too -- here's the most complete story I have found.
Update
1 year ago

7 comments:
I consider myself a little better-read about WWII than many, yet I had never heard of "Nacht und Nebel" . Once again, you teach me something new. Thanks.
The MAGA's do complain about constantly being compared to Adolph and Benito, and other fascists of the past, but it fits. Like a glove.
It's fortunate the fascist rally was held in a field. I'd hate to see all that bullshit go to waste.
I'm coming to the view that MAGA is less political movement and more scam. It appears that the leaders are more concerned with fleecing the gullible to line their pockets over building an actual power base. Things like memecoin rugpulls, undelivered branded phones, and other shoddy schemes.
I'll also posit that might indicate an attitude of 'get while the getting is good'- they see that the whole MAGA bubble is about to pop, so they need to cash in on the rubes while they can.
Posit is a good word...might even turn up in Wordle one of these days. ;)
A sideways comment... I have flown in a F-101B. Out of Bangor Maine. Dow air base
The One-O-Wonderful is probably my favorite of the old Century series.
I'll bet there wasn't a single good food truck at that event.
“….and everyone’s trying to keep Satan at bay
But how can he lead us to ruin
When we all know he has the best tunes?”
-“Warning Parental Advisory” John Wesley Harding, 1991
Post a Comment