Thursday, February 21, 2008

As A Public Service

I shouldn't take time to do this, but --

D00d! You're driving on icy-slick roads in snow, d00d! HANG UP AND DRIVE!!! Now!

Sheesh.

A. Fishtailing is Sir Isaac's way of telling you that you are pushing the envelope. It's a warning, not a flirtation.
B. Sliding is Nature's way of telling you there are no exceptions to Newton's Laws at our level of perception.
C. It's four-wheel drive. Your grip, traction, steering and braking work just the same as any other son of a pickup truck. Truly. Really.

F'the love a' mud, folks, it takes longer in weather like this. Unclench. Slow down. Get there. Please?

5 comments:

Sevesteen said...

And if you're going to tailgate me on ice, I'm going to slow down. Not to be a jerk, but to make sure I'm not going to have to stop faster than you'll be able to. If I do that where it is safe to pass, please do--I'd much rather you were in front of me than up my tailpipe.

(Not looking forward to going home in a few hours)

Roberta X said...

Yeah, using only one's brake lights, it's difficult to convey to the ijit behind just how badly it would make your nose hurt if you tried to go faster than the car in front of you...!

The trip home wasn't too bad. Most of the timid were home already and the foolhardy were way ahed of me.

(Verification world, "ckgun." Okay. ...Still loaded).

phlegmfatale said...

I wish they'd spend less time on the phone on non-icy roads, too. meh.

Mark said...

I have 4X4, and even with it, I drive slower than my normal slow. When the kids and I went to St. Louis for Christams last year, I spent a good protion of time in 4 HI, and never going faster than 35 mph. why? At over 40-45 mph 4 whell drive is useless. you don't get any more traction, and it actually takes longer to stop because of the added thrust from the front axle on the front brakes. some people just don't get it though.

Tango Juliet said...

:) "our level of perception" :)