Saturday, February 09, 2008

Oh, Henry Louis, We Hardly Knew Ye

Why is it when I read Uncle on buying an EBR now, before the flush, I'm reminded of Mencken's marvelous words, "Every election is a sort of advance auction of stolen goods."

As Kim duToit hath writ, buy your EBR now, or ASAP with your tax rebate; 'cos while you're bein' handed your own money they took, the incongrous legisleeches -- sorry! "Statesmen in Congress" -- under our next Glorious Leader are liable t'be bribin' the pusillanimous with your freedom to keep'n'bear same.

Me, I'm torn -- a lot more rounds for the SKS, or an AK-type semi-auto? Or ought I consider an "intermediate sniper rifle" of the sort the VPC has in their crosshairs or a nice Mini-30? (Or do I repeat myself and if so, since when the dickens was a nice little deer rifle an "intermediate sniper rifle," and who are those "intermediate snipers," anyway? The clumsy ones who couldn't handle big rifles? The ones who aren't small enough and sneaky enough to wriggle up close with a .25? Junior High School kids? Bad shots who can't off a bad'un with a .17 HMR but wince at a .410? A drink and two dances?*) --Whatever I get, I'll buy some SKissable ammo, natch.

Hey feds? I'm gonna spend yer free money my money comin' back on scary-bad go-boom stuff. Try not to wet yourself too obviously, 'kay?
__________________________
(In a BoR-related vein, I have long felt that the most succinct statement of the practical application of freedom of religion as a social act rather than a political commandment is Mencken's, "We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." Sure, it's funny, but there's more there than immediately meets the eye).

* Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Really, one might as well have dinner and a smoke while you're at it.

3 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I already know what $600 rebate check rifle I'm getting. I already have the name Gummint Cheese picked out for it. I've never named a gun, and may never again, but the Gummint gave me such good inspiration.

But it isn't an EBR. Saving that purchase for the fall, if the election swings bleak.

theirritablearchitect said...

"ought I consider an "intermediate sniper rifle" of the sort the VPC has in their crosshairs"

Those were my thoughts, as I have the EBR thing a plenty, except, strangely, no ARs.

I've had my eye on a couple of the discounted patrol bolties of the FN or, more likely, a Steyr SBS Tactical, variety.

Sorta stick it in their eye and give it a good twist.

Rob K said...

You might consider something like a SMLE for your "intermediate sniper rifle". They can be had for around $100, so you can get one of those + an AK for your $600. I got a .308 Indian M2A some years ago. Not as pretty as the MkI's, but .308 is more common and cheaper than .303.