Thursday, February 21, 2008

An Occlusion

...More or less. Tam and I took time away from (respectively) attic-clearing and nodding off to freeze our fool ears off having a look at the lunar eclipse. Sure wish I had remembered to grab my camera! An exceptionally clear night provided excellent seeing even with the city's lights; one of my pals, The Irishman,[1] was standin' to the South; the Great Bear NE; and the Moon was busy fading to smoked orange roughly ESE. Delightful!

You'll be pleased to know that a few clangs of a wooden spoon against a pot lid scared the Fenris wolf[2] away and it did not eat the moon. Again. Whew! (Tam an' her silly sky-snake yarns. Hmpf. I think Loki's been whisperin' smack t'her).
______________________________________
1. Decoding this'n's left as an exercise for the reader. You'll know him when you see him.
2. Or his son
Hati. Accounts vary.

4 comments:

The Duck said...

I was able to see it through the kitchen window, was much more comfortable than being outside, on such a crisp evening

Turk said...

Could that be O'Ryan?

Breda said...

did you know that one of the "stars" surrounding the moon was the planet Saturn?

Roberta X enshowerward said...

Aha! That would explain why it was so fat and bright.

...Now that you point it out, I remember reading that before the fact but I'd be fibbing if I said it had come to mind during the event.