Thursday, February 21, 2008

An Occlusion

...More or less. Tam and I took time away from (respectively) attic-clearing and nodding off to freeze our fool ears off having a look at the lunar eclipse. Sure wish I had remembered to grab my camera! An exceptionally clear night provided excellent seeing even with the city's lights; one of my pals, The Irishman,[1] was standin' to the South; the Great Bear NE; and the Moon was busy fading to smoked orange roughly ESE. Delightful!

You'll be pleased to know that a few clangs of a wooden spoon against a pot lid scared the Fenris wolf[2] away and it did not eat the moon. Again. Whew! (Tam an' her silly sky-snake yarns. Hmpf. I think Loki's been whisperin' smack t'her).
______________________________________
1. Decoding this'n's left as an exercise for the reader. You'll know him when you see him.
2. Or his son
Hati. Accounts vary.

4 comments:

The Duck said...

I was able to see it through the kitchen window, was much more comfortable than being outside, on such a crisp evening

Turk Turon said...

Could that be O'Ryan?

breda said...

did you know that one of the "stars" surrounding the moon was the planet Saturn?

Anonymous said...

Aha! That would explain why it was so fat and bright.

...Now that you point it out, I remember reading that before the fact but I'd be fibbing if I said it had come to mind during the event.