Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Work On A Starship: Things That Go Bump

Lupine, a ten-mile-long city in flight Blish never dreamed of, was coasting in zero-g. This is no fun but we'd bounced in a little off-kilter and Navs had so decreed. If you're not susceptible to falling dreams, it's not so bad for sleeping; tuck in the covers and drift off like Little Nemo! I woke up about three-quarters when the alarm sounded and my cabin lights blinked on and then off again. From the phone panel set in the wall next to my bunk: "Final warning! Acceleration in thirty seconds! Take hold!"

It sounded like Navs finally had us lined up for our first inbound course correction.. About time; I was already tired of squeeze-bulb instant coffee. I hoped it was going to be a long burn.

Long it was, but not uneventful....

[Story continues at I Work On A Starship]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tomorrow off. I reckon I will make coffee, and sit on the couch with the furry terrorists and read the whole series from the start.

Jim

Comrade Misfit said...

Do you have any plans to turn this into be a dead-tree book someday?

Roberta X said...

E.B.: I had not given it much thought. I suppose one of the on-demand services might do it, if I ever got the whole thing proofread.

sam said...

Yes, book please, Gorgeous.

Would this this style constitute a new sub-genre? Ultra-techno-geeky sci-fi thriller?

What ever happened to the guns? I seem to remember guns. "In space, no one can hear you ND?"

WV: squirsa - sounds like a drive problem. Again.

Roberta X said...

Guns: we haven't yet gone to the range; the Security guys had guns when they nabbed Vill. And not many crewfolks carry; it's sintered bullets only if you do.

Just like here, there's plenty of shooting but most of it is for fun. Unlike here, Crime Does Not Pay: it's too hard for the usual petty thief to make a clean getaway. But I promise, there will be guns.