Sunday, January 09, 2011

Don't You Wish You Were Us? Dept.

Made corned beef brisket for dinner, with boiled taters and some onion and carrot in the pot for taste.

This is non-cooking cooking -- start the brisket in water with spices as desired (applewood-smoked black pepper, cilantro and marjorom, on a whim); once it boils, turn the fire way, waaaayyy down, cover and pointedly ignore for the next three hours. At about the 2:30 mark, add carrots and onion to the meat, then wash, quarter and cook the potatoes separately (bring to boil, simmer, just like the meat). When the timer dings, kill heat under the beef and let it sit for at least ten minutes, then slice and serve steaming hot. Season potatoes to taste, with veggies from the meat broth added.

Tam added a dash of sauerkraut and a dill pickle for zing and color, took a taste of the meat and went for her camera. I guess it came out okay, then.
PHOTO CREDIT: T. KEEL
Prep time is what, two minutes? Attention during cooking, practically zero. You do have to start with a decent corned brisket but they're plentiful and (relatively) cheap this time of year.

9 comments:

Andrew said...

I cook the taters in the same pot. They get all yummy `n' stuff.

Sean D Sorrentino said...

I used my new pressure cooker to make a nice roast and veggies for my wife and her parents tonight. It was a wonderful dinner. Probably not as low maintenance as yours, but not far off.

Anonymous said...

I braised a couple of lamb shanks, which required similar effort. (The sauce I attempted was more of a hands-on affair, but I can chalk that up to inexperience.) I did turn the shanks while they were braising, but that was more to make me feel useful than anything else.

That said, I'll be trying yours next time I come across some brisket. Thanks!

Sabra said...

We had corned beef brisket not too long ago ourselves. I don't recall what we ate with it, though.

I need to look up how to make sauerbraten again...

BobG said...

Now, THAT is a proper lookin' meal. And I can just imagine how good the leftover corned beef will be in a hash...

LabRat said...

We have a collection of similarly low-maintenance yumminess. My favorite at the moment involves country cut pork ribs, potatoes, turnips, and a mustard and horseradish sauce for dipping.

Turk Turon said...

That looks SOOOOO good!

Roberta X said...

It was good! Making pretty good hash this morning, too.

...And now I'm longing for LabRat's treat. I wonder if a bitta wasabi would work in place of the horseradish?

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I'm with Sean, I make corned beef in the pressure cooker. 3 pound corned beef, 1 hour.