Tuesday, January 11, 2011

White Death™

It's heeeere!

Forsooth, not here here, not quite yet; when I look out the windows of Roseholme Cottage, there's not a flake falling. But the flakes inside my TV set are, as they do anytime the forecast calls for more than a spatter of snow, sounding the tocsin of doom, doom, doom!

Because it's wintertime and there's snow falling. Yeah, who'd've expected that? Schools and prayer meetings are cancelling left and right; when I woke up at Oh-Dark-Fifteen, the list already had over three dozen entries.

You'd think they'd all be driving 4WDs to work, wouldn't you, or maybe snowmobiles; and yet when you drive past the parking lots of the big TV stations, it looks like a gaggle of plain ordinary cars any other bunch of downtown office workers might drive.

On the other hand, from what I saw on the toooob this morning it sure looked like a lot of 'em came into work early today. That, surprisingly enough, might be good common sense when there's several inches of snow in the offing.

Don't judge 'em by what they say. Judge 'em by what they do. Guy goes on the tellymavision to tell me the sky is falling, I'm gonna look to see if he's wearing a hard hat before I take him seriously.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the title and first line, I thought you'd received a long-awaited biography of Simo Hayha from Amazon. Which got my interest, because I don't know of any such biographies. Ah well.

Hecate said...

One of our local stations has a n00b weathercaster who spilled the beans. He said they make it sound as bad as possible so people will keep watching.

Drang said...

Late last week it was announced that a veritable Snowpocalypse was in the offing...maybe. Or maybe not, as it was a week out and it was hard to say, but best get ready.
Now, of course, all we have is really cold temps and the prospect of rain. And the sheeple all want to know what was up with that?

Anonymous said...

Try it here in No. Carolina. We got perhaps two inches of snow and a little ice yesterday, and you'd think that it was The End Of The World As We Know It:

"ZOMG! SNOW! AGH! I CAN'T GO TO WORK!!! WHAT IF THE POWER GOES OUT??? DO WE HAVE MILK AND BREAD??? AND TOILET PAPER! HAVE WE GOT ENOUGH TOILET PAPER??? PLEASE, DEAR HEAVENS, TELL ME WE HAVE TOILET PAPER!!!"

I'm not exactly Todd Palin with mad winter driving skillz, but even I can manage to get my Honda from Point A to Point B even though there's a little snow and ice on the roads. Sheesh.

Roberta X said...

It is wore in the states that don't normally get much winter: the various street departments and highway crews have little if any road salt or sand, and precious few snowfalls.

New Hampshire or Vermont, if you can get to the end of your driveway, you'll probably be okay from there on.

Indiana is somewhere in between those examples, usually at the wrong end for the prevailing conditions.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

All of my colleagues in the DC Metro area are telecommuting this morning. I guess they had a inch of snow yesterday. Poor babies.

I always loved trying to drive in the snow out there. The denizens of the area are already the worst drivers in CONUS, so add snow and ice and make them worse. Sigh.

Ken said...

Belaya Smert!