Friday, March 30, 2012

Linguistic Patrol: The Acronymicon

See, here's the scene: y'drive your SUV vehicle up to the ATM machine; when you enter your PIN number while looking at the LED-diode illuminated LCD display,* it groans and clanks and spits out an ATM, where you punch in your PIN and get a big glob of cash that you stuff in your briefcase -- and then, I suppose, you put that little valise into a briefcase case, right?

::sigh::

I guess I'd better be just glad I was able to get home to my house without being chased by the IRS service or the IMPD department, 'cos it's not gonna get any better. Next thing you know, people will be writing in slang!
____________________________________
* Many thanks to Dave H for pointing out this necessity in comments!

6 comments:

bluntobject said...

*golf clap* Nicely done.

I have a sneaking suspicion that an SUV vehicle isn't a nested transportation device, but rather the sharp end of the next investment bubble.

Dave H said...

So did that ATM machine have an LCD display? Or did it have an LED?

Roberta X said...

Yes! Dave, it must -- maybe an LCD display illuminated by LED diodes?

TBeck said...

"PIN number" is one of those redundancies that makes my eyebrow twitch every time I hear it.

Keads said...

TBeck- I twitch just as much on "ATM machine".

Hammerbach said...

The SUV even has a VIN number...