Friday, March 24, 2017

Speaking Of Modern Medicine...

     There's a little bit of medical folderol in store for me today: I'll be getting an echocardiogram later today.  Screamin' early today, so perhaps I won't miss too much work -- I'd better not, since my out-of-pocket for this procedure will be a bit north of $1000, or about a replaced left-rear side light and really serious tuneup on the old RX300 Urban Assault Personnel Carrier.  Guess what's not happening?  Yeah.

     Minimal information from my doctor, so I don't know if this will be basic imaging, or if I'll get to walk on a treadmill or whatever to push my pulse up to 167 or whatever heathen level they want for a stress test.

     Worried?  Me?  --Darned right.

     On the good-news front, the hospital got my Mom stabilized, happy and feeling good, and sent her back home yesterday afternoon.

3 comments:

stuart said...

I'm sure you've already looked it up but if not:
An echocardiogram is similar to the ultrasound scan used in pregnancy. It produces an image of your heart using sound waves.

The test can identify the structure and pumping function of the heart, the thickness of the heart muscle and the movement of each heart valve, and can be used to create a detailed picture of the heart.

During an echocardiogram, you will be asked to remove your top and a small handheld device called a transducer will be passed over your chest.

Lubricating gel is put on to your skin to allow the transducer to move smoothly and make sure there is continuous contact between the sensor and the skin.

Old NFO said...

Glad to hear your Mom is back home!

Anonymous said...

You will lay on your left side, and the transducer will be put between your ribs, intercostal space, and it will require quite a bit of force.

They will also go from hollow of throat down, and from below sternum up.

It can't see through bones, the lungs also are issue, that's why they need you on left side for intercostal part, it flops heart closer to rib cage.

I had one just few weeks ago.

I suffer from muscle spasms so intercostal part was painful, that part might be mild bruising for typical people.

~Dov