Saturday, August 03, 2024

A Hungarian Pepper

     Our nearest -- and fairly "foodie" -- grocer doesn't stock them.  But the one up in Broad Ripple proper often has nice, pale-green Hungarian peppers.  They're either cousins of the banana pepper or the same thing, and fairly hot raw with an intense, quick bite.

     I bought one Friday without much of a plan for it,  I was frying some cubed potatoes for breakfast today -- I serve them with crumbled bacon and scrambled eggs -- and I thought since Tam and I usually put hot sauce on the breakfast hash, why not cook the pepper right in it?  I diced it and gave it a taste: pretty hot.  I added about half before scrambling the eggs, and the end result was tasty and mild.  A bit of the raw pepper perked it up.  Good stuff -- and good to know they cook down to less heat.

No comments: