Saturday, August 31, 2024

Leftovers? Barbecue!

     Last weekend, I made a vindaloo-ish pork roast ("boneless Boston butt," supply your own punch line), marinated overnight in a mixture of apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, ginger and curry powder.  I roasted it with turnips, apple, hot pickled cherry peppers, two kinds of cherry tomatoes, potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, shishito peppers, shitake  mushrooms and canned crushed tomatoes.  Cooked until it was almost falling apart, it made a nice meal -- and there were plenty of leftovers.

     It seemed like most of it might make a nice start on the kind of barbecue that consists of shredded meat in a thick sauce, usually eaten on a bun, so I saved it.

     Tonight, I started with a little sweet Italian sausage, browned, and added a small can of tomato paste to it with a little water.  While it cooked, I defrosted the pork roast, vegetables and broth and added them to the meat and tomatoes with a little curry powder and some smoky barbecue sauce.  I fished out the big chunks of potatoes and set them aside, then used round-ended kitchen shears to shred the meat, while mashing the remaining vegetables.

     The end result was shredded pork and sausage in a sauce thick enough to stand up a spoon in.  I added some more barbecue sauce and a little ketchup as it cooked, checking for taste.

     It simmered while I microwaved the potatoes and mashed them with milk, butter and salt.  They came out okay, though they were not the prettiest-looking mashed potatoes -- they looked like mashed yams.

     We had some store-bakery hamburger buns, unsliced and pretty substantial.  I cut them and loaded them up with the meat and sauce, added potatoes on the side and there was dinner, just as tasty as I had hoped. 

1 comment:

grich said...

You are certainly on a higher plane of cuisine than I, who was excited last night at coming home to find the family had cracked open a can of Spam and I could treat myself to a Spam sandwich (on multigrain bread with Miracle Whip and dill relish).